P: (440) 666-9735 E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Attorney Ratings: 4.8/5.0 (Source: Martindale- Hubbell Peer Review Ratings). “Superb” (Source: AVVO).
Scott started The Lawson Firm, LLC after a long and successful career as in-house counsel for leading companies. Scott has given presentations at both national and regional conferences and has published articles and papers on numerous topics. Throughout his career, Scott has successfully applied a unique mix of legal expertise and solid business sense to produce exceptional results for his clients.
- Managing Attorney, The Lawson Firm, LLC, 2009-Present.
- General Counsel, LSI Holdings (a diversified insurance and financial services holding company acquired in 2009), 2005-2009.
- Senior Corporate Counsel, Progressive Corporation (a Fortune 500, publicly traded property/casualty insurance holding company), 1992-2004.
Selected Publications and Presentations …
- “Is it Time to Update Your Non-Disclosure/Non-Compete Agreement?”, Intellectual Property Counselor (Thomson-Reuters), July 2017.
- “NAIC Adopts New Cybersecurity ‘Roadmap’”, The Regulator, March 2016.
- Contributing Attorney, Legal Basics for Small Business (a Publication of the Ohio State Bar Association), 2013 Edition.
- “Beyond the ®: Six Post-Registration Steps for Protecting Your Trademarks”, Intellectual Property Counselor (Thomson-Reuters), May 2013.
- “Trademark License Agreements”, Intellectual Property Counselor (Thomson-Reuters), November 2012.
- Preparing for an Employee Termination, WTAM 1100, Cleveland Radio (Original Air Date: March 18, 2011).
- Presenter – “Ride Sharing and Auto Insurance”, AICP Mid-West Chapter Conference, Columbus, Ohio – May 2015.
- “‘Who are Those Guys ?’ – An FIO Primer”, The Regulator, September 2014.
- Compliance Panel, Life Insurance Settlement Association, Compliance Seminar, Las Vegas, NV- September 2008.
- Presenter – Federal Topics, Insurance Regulatory Examiners Society, Career Development Seminar, Pittsburgh, PA – August 2007.
- “Insurer Outsourcing Pros and Cons”, Rough Notes Magazine, July 2006.
- Presenter – Federal Topics, Association of Insurance Compliance Professionals, Annual Conference, Dallas, TX – September 2005.
- “Identity Check: An Eight-Step Compliance Program for Avoiding the Consequences of Violating OFAC Regulations”, Best’s Review, May 2005.
Education and Admissions …
- Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, Cleveland State University (J.D., 1994).
- Editor – Cleveland State Law Review.
- West Publishing Award for Outstanding Legal Writing.
- State University of New York/Fredonia Campus (B.A., Political Science, 1985).
- Dean’s List.
- Honor-Student Legal Internship Program.
- Admitted, 1994 (Ohio).
Memberships and Community Service…
- Member – American Bar Association (ABA).
- Member – Ohio State Bar Association (OSBA).
- Member – Cleveland Intellectual Property Law Association (CIPLA).
- Former Board Member and Pro Bono Chair – Assoc. of Corp. Counsel (Northeast Ohio Chapter).
- Board of Advisors – Fredonia Alumni Lawyers Endowment Fund.
- Co-Founder – Charitable Organizations Representation Project (A Pro Bono Project for Corporate Counsel Sponsored by the American Corporate Counsel Association and the Ohio Legal Assistance Foundation).